The 66th Artillery Brigade was the parent organization of the 148th. It had two assigned Field Artillery Regiments, the 146th and 148th, was the first brigade of the A. E. F. (American Expeditionary Force) to have its regiments become motorized heavy artillery units. The 146th, arriving in their training camp at Camp de Souge, France, (10 miles southwest of Bordeaux) first on January 16,1918, were equipped with the newly manufactured French 155mm (6 in.) Filloux rifles, commonly know as the 155 G. P. F. gun. The 148th arrived there on February 14th and was soon also equipped with these spectacular guns.
The 148th Field Artillery Regiment was originally equipped with 4.7 inch or six-inch (155 mm) howitzers. No matter what weapon the unit was assigned, there was little or no time to train with it as all units once formed were quickly sent to France.
It wasn’t until they reached France that the Brigade was designated as “Corps Artillery” reporting to either a Corps or the higher unit, the First Army, and assigned the 155 mm G. P. F. Guns.
Their combat service was within the First Army, however, when serving in Germany with the Army of Occupation, they were within the Third Army area. As such they worn the Third Army patch on their left shoulder, a white A within a red circle in all of the available pictures
|Return to Slide|