Development and Operation
The Spad 16 was produced in 1917. It was intended to be an improved version of the Spad 11 and was powered by a 240 hp Lorraine 8Bb engine. While aircraft performance was improved the design flaws of the Spad 11 remained. Furthermore, the machine was still slower than the Breguet 14A2 and the Salmson 2A2.
The Spad 16 was a 2-bay biplane with ailerons on the top wings only. Armament consisted of a machine gun mounted just to the left of the mid-line of the fuselage for the pilot and a flexible gun for the Observer. The fuel tank held 140 liters and was located under the seat of the pilot. An auxiliary fuel tank, with a capacity of 25 liters was located in the top wing. Six Spad 16's were acquired by the AEF in August 1918.
One, in which Col. William "Billy" Mitchell flew, is preserved at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio and is displayed above.