This gun was the Saint-Chamond manufactured 155mm G. P. F., standing for Grande portée Filloux, literally: “Great Range” Filloux or as the Americans referred to it as Grande puisance Filloux or “Great Power” Filloux. Either phrase accurately described the weapon. It was a wonderfully accurate long range piece.
It was designed by the Frenchman Filloux and first came into production in July 1917, thus allowing these two American Regiments the early use of what would become the best medium range weapon in the war. This gun was so good that the same weapon was used in quantity following the Normandy invasion more than 25 years later as the U.S. M12 Gun Motor Carriage, mounted on a Sherman tank chassis. It was the predecessor of the famous American “Long Tom” 155mm gun, yet even more powerful, that appeared in WW II.
|Return to Slide|