Doughboy Center
Photo Album

Alphabetical Listing


3rd Division Members on their Way to Chow.

Photo from Ray Mentzer. Please contact the editors if you can identify any of the individuals.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

26th Infantry, Members of Company F

Sgt. Norris C. Arnold of Ward 55 U.S.A. Gen.Hos.#28, Ft. Sheridan,Ill. sent the photo with these comments. Sorry, but we lost some of the images on the outside edges.

Names of the boys in photo:
1 Unknown
2 "Dusty" Rhodes
3 Unknown
4 Hosmeir of Cleveland,Ohio
5 John Davis
6 Daniel Caine
7 Frank Kraft of New York
8 Burko
9 Roscoe Williams of Illinois
10 "Nick" Daniels of South Dakota
11 Mosley
12 Francis Hallock from Elmira, New York
13 Francis White
14 Churney
15 Scalise
16 Price
17 Cameron of South Dakota
18 A.H. Thompson
19 Jackman
20 Pietio Vannie
21 Dewey Booker
22 Sliavinski
23 Cerjenler of Columbus,Ohio
24.Norris C Arnold
X Harry Allbery

I have given you the names of these boys as I remember them. The boy who is #10 was Harry's closest pal, they had been together all the time they were in the army. Some of the boys were killed in action, in fact about half of them, and the rest like myself were wounded, all but one or two. The Picture was taken at St Orey, France the afternoon before we left for the frontline. We were about six or eight miles from the front. Their artillery could reach us there. Hoping this will be of aide to you, I remain your friend.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

94th Aero Squadron, Pilots

Contributed by Ray Mentzer.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Four Buddies from the Rainbow Division's 116th Field Artillery.

Dawn Street contributed four pictures of her Grandfather and his buddies from the 116th Field Artillery of the 42nd "Rainbow" Division:

Upper left:
My grandfather is Robert Wilson Kerr III (1895-1991). Grandpa was inducted 9/21/1917 at Columbus, GA and discharged 5/6/1919 at Fort Gordon, GA. Sorry, he did not give full names and my mother did not think to ask when he was dictating his memoirs.
Upper right:
Thomas L. Harrison Formerly of Bat E 116th F. A. (Home Address College Park, GA)
Lower right:
Wood of Edgemoor, South Carolina
Lower left:
Walsingham of Florida

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

124th Machine Gun Battalion, Members

Contributed by Steve Collins whose grandfather James is featured below. The 33rd Division spent the post-Armistice period in Luxembourg.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

148th Field Artillery, Gun Crew

Contributed by Mary Schaefer grand daughter and grand niece of the Beck brothers. See below.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

306th Infantry Band

Contributed by Rich Layh whose grandfather was a band member. Rich has contributed other photos and material for the Doughboy Center.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

364th Infantry, 91st Division, 2nd Platoon, Company G

Contributed by Stephanie Bolster of Pacifica, California who found this undated photo in her late grandmother's collection. She knows of no connection between her Grandmother and any of the doughboys, but believes there is one. Ray Menzer a frequent contributor helped with the identification of the individuals from official 91st Division documents. Please contact us with any information you may have.

What appears to have happened here is that all 54 members of the platoon stopped at a photography shop in New York City enroute to France and had their pictures taken. One of the members -- not identified -- recorded the rand and last names of each member sometimes, apparently, mispelling some of them. The photos were then all printed on the same sheet which was rearranged for display on the Photo Album. The section on "Honor Roll" is mysterious in that the names listed are not among those pictured. Possibly the photo was taken on the trip home so the individuals were deceased. The 91st Division saw considerable action in both the Argonne Forest and in Flanders.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Four

Lee Albertson

Contributed by Jack Savage and Barbara Alberson Wildman of Menlo Park, California. Lee Albertson of Norristown, PA was from a Quaker Family but enlisted anyway. He served as a cavalryman in France where he served messenger and policing duties. After returning, He married Barbara's mother in New York City. They moved to Chicago where he worked with Owings Illinois Glass. He later founded his own company Lee Products Inc. of Pasedena. He passed away in the late 1940s.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Jesse Anderson

Found in Jesse's privately published diary from the War.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

William Jackson Ballow

Cpl. William Jackson "Bill or W.J." Ballow, 147th Infantry, 37th Division Contributed by his granddaughter Vickie Ballow Slagle

Born: November 2, 1890 Place: Harrison, Boone County, Arkansas
Died: July 24, 1972 Place: Weatherford, Parker County, Texas
Hometown: Weatherford, Texas Parker County - Lived in Parker County about 75 years Occupation: Farmer, Nurseryman. During the Depression he drove a milk truck from Weatherford to Dallas, Texas for Metzgers Dairies. He loved to sing songs from WWI to the grandchildren, the ones I remember most are:

"Madelmoiselle from Armentieres,
"Over There",
"Long Long Way to Tipperary"

Being a girl I suppose he thought I would enjoy songs more than stories of battles, casualties or friends that died.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

James Luther Ballow

Contributed by his grand-niece Vickie Ballow Slagle
Born: February 7, 1896; Place: Harrison, Boone County, Arkansas
Died: June 1971 Place: Stephenville, Erath County, Texas
Hometown: Weatherford, Texas Parker County

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Edwin Beach, USMC

Edwin Beach's son Jerry has contributed numerous photos of his father, brothers, friends, the Belleau Wood area and other battlesites of the 6th Machine Gun Regiment for the Doughboy Center. Jerry has been able to provide an interesting chronology of his father's service and subsequent life:

23 January 1894      
Edwin Thomas Beach born Ruthland, Ohio

6 April 1917    
American enters the war. Edwin was living in Alliance, Ohio working for the Pennsylvania RR as a car inspector.

6 July 1917     
Enlists in US Marine Corps

24 Februaary 1918      
Arrives at Brest, France aboard USS Von Steuben

28 March 1918      
Transferred into 23rd Company, 6th Machine Gun Battalion which would be his unit until his discharge.

6 June 1918      
Underwent gas attack near Belleau Wood.

June - November 1918      
Served in subsequent actions at Chateau-Thierry, Soissons, St. Mihiel, Blanc Mont and the Argonne Forest.

December 1918 - July 1919      
Served with the American Army of Occupation in Coblenz Bridgehead area.

24 July 1919      
Sailed for home on board USS Santa Paula from Brest, France.

13 August 1919      
Discharged as Sgt.

Afterwards - Edwin returned home, worked for the railroads and eventually met Ruby Jarrell whom he married in 1928. They settled in Canton, Ohio to raise a family. Unfortunately, Edwin passed away young, shortly after his 48th birthday

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Edwin and George Beach with Sol Segel

Contributed by Edwin's son Jerry. See information above for details on Edwin's service. Like Edwin, hometown buddy Sol Segel also serve with the Marines. 6th Machine Gun Battalion. George was assigned to the 311th Sanitary Train's, 342nd Ambulance Company. The three buddies were all able to return to their hometown of Alliance, Ohio after the war.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Carl Beck

Contributed by his granddaughter Mary Schaefer. After the war he married and taught Agricultural Business at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo from 1932-1964.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Verner Beck

Verner Beck was the great uncle of contributor Mary Schaefer and brother of Carl Beck. Both were born in Denver. After the war he had a long career as a newspaper editor.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Edwin Bemis

Contributed by Edwin's daughter, former Great War Society member Lorie Bemis. Edwin was trained in topography and his war service involved surveying and mapping the AEF battlefields. He earned himself a commission for his service. After the war he worked as a mining engineer and had a long career with American Harvester.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Harry Joseph Black

Contributed by Grandson Robert Black. Enlisted in Toledo, Ohio, 22 August 1917. According to my grandfathers' discharge papers he was in Company "M", 30th Infantry, 3rd Division, also he was promoted to Sergeant in the field, but was discharged as a Private First Class. We don't know a lot of details about him. My father was 7 years old (73 years ago) when my grandfather died, possibly from Mustard gas complications in the lungs.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Drs. Bunt & Crile

From the Website of the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Crile was the founder of the Cleveland Clinic.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Nurse Helen Burrey

Helen's daughter, Mary Murphy, has an excellent website on her mother's war service. A link to it can be found on the Biographies Page of the Doughboy Center.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Willis Cole

Contributed by his son Willis Cole, Jr who provided this biographical information:

Willis Samuel Cole
February 25, 1897 - July 11, 1949
Corporal, SN: 738856
295th Military Police Company
6th Division, U. S. Army
April 24, 1918 - October 29, 1918
Company D, 1st Army M.P. Battalion
October 30, 1918 - July 12, 1919

Willis S. Cole, Mahoning Rd. NE, Canton, Ohio, volunteered as a Regular Army Enlisted Man on June 19,1917 at Columbus Barracks, Columbus, Ohio.

Willis went through Basic Training as a member Company B, 51ST Infantry, 11th Infantry Brigade, 6th Division (RA), serving with that Company until 23 April, 1918, at which time he was transferred to Company A, of the 6th Division Military Police. He served as a dispatch rider and saw action in several sectors including the Meuse Argonne Offensive. He returned to Ohio after the war where he and Luella Claire King raised their family.

Their son, Willis Jr. now directs a military museum at Kirkland, Washington which is named in honor of his father. Learn more about Battery Corporal Willis S. Cole Military Museum, A Non-Profit Corporation at

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

James E. Collins

James Collins enlisted in the Illinois National Guard in Chicago in May, 1917 at age 20. He participated in operations in the Somme Sector and in the Meuse-Argonne offensive. His unit was primarily comprised of natives of the Windy City. After returning from France in May,1919, he resided in Chicago until his death in 1947. He also appears on page one with his fellow doughboys and some citizens of Luxembourg. Contributed by his grandson, Steve Collins, also of Chicago.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Charles O. Davis

Contributed by GWS members Jean and Charlie Davis with help from Cammy Grede. Lt. Charles O. Davis was born 1894 in Holton KS and died 1968 in Pittsburg KS. His hometown was Kansas City, MO. After the war he married Grace Pearse in 1920 in Kansas City. They moved to Pittsburg KS in 1929; he was banker all his career. His war service as a supply officer in the 353d Inf, 89th Division, involved difficult ammunition re-supply under fire in the San Mihiel and Argonne offensives.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Corporal Fred M. Davis

Contributed by Fred's Daughter Juanita M. Fox. Her father served from October 2, 1917 to July 8, 1919. He served initally with Company H of the 38th Infantry, 3rd Division and participated in the Rock of the Marne episode where US forces played a key role in stopping the last German Offensive of WWI. His company took very heavy casualties. He was taken prisoner and eventually finished the war in a Camp in Rostatt, Germany. He was freed, cared for at a hospital in Vichy, France and eventually was honored by being assigned to the guard for President Wilson during the Peace Conference in Paris. He returned to New Mexico after the war.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Herman Davis

Herman Davis was the most decorated of Arkansas's sons to serve in the Great War. His service was so distinctive that his home state dedicated a state park in his honor. At war's end he was one of 100 members of the AEF singled out by General Pershing for "individual acts of extraordinary heroism". This image is a detail from the portrait of Herman that hangs in the curator's office at the Arkansas Historical Commission in Little Rock. All of this material about him was contributed by Bruce Powell of Atlanta, Georgia who helped uncover the long forgotten list of "Pershing's 100" and which will soon be included on the Doughboy Center in its entirety.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

T.N. Dent

Signal Corps Photo. Capt. Dent was one of the Black officers for the 92nd segreated Division which had all black enlisted men and mostly white officers.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Hubert Deasey

Hubert Aloysius Deasey was a 1913 immigrant to the United States. He had been born in St. Helens, Lancashire, England of Patrick and Ursula Deasey. He enlisted in the First Illinois National Guard Regiment commanded by Col. Joseph Sanborn which was eventually sent to France as the 131st Infantry of the 33rd Division. He was killed on August 9, 1918 at Chipilly Ridge, France in the Somme Sector. Hubert received a posthumous Distinguished Service Cross for this action. His citation reads in part:

...For extraordinary heroism in action near Chipilly Ridge, Fronce, August 9th, 1918. Acting on his own initiative, he advanced alone against a machine-gun nest that had bee causing heavy casualties among his comrades. He crawled to within a short distance of the enemy position before he was detected. He then rushed the spot and bayoneted three gunners, being himself killed in the encounter.

He is buried at the American Cemetery at Suresnes, France outside of Paris. His photo was contributed by his great niece Ann Bessette of Lake Villa, Illinois.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Charles Dermody

Charles Dermody from Lebanon, Illinois had a very exciting war. He was both wounded and captured by the Germans. He survived and lived until 1991, however. His grandchildren have developed a wonderful website about him that can be accessed on the Biographies page of the Doughboy Center.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Wm. "Wild Bill" Donovan

Photo courtesy of Joe Hourigan at the Fighting 69th Website. Donovan led the O.S.S. during World War II.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Leroy Arthur Dowd, USN

Contributed by Dowd P. Chelucci [grandson] and Margo McRice. Leroy Dowd was born in Oakland, California on February 27, 1894. He enlisted before the war and was assigned to the U.S.S. Dora as a radioman. The Dora served during America's participation in the Great War as an armed convoy escort in the Atlantic and Mediterranean. After the war he served as a radioman at the Farallones Islands off the coast of San Francisco. He was later hospitalized with what some family members called "shell-shock" and suffered similar difficulties for the rest of his life. He died in 1945 and is buried at the Golden Gate National Cemetery alongside his wife Elisa who followed him in 1950.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Francis [Frank] Eichler

The 2001 photo was contributed by LtCol Johnson of the Veterans of World War I. 1st Sgt. Francis (Frank) Eichler served with the 5th Engineering Logistics Regiment. Born in San Francisco 1897. He enlisted in Chico, CA in July 1918 and due to his administrative skills and diligent studying, found himself rapidly promoted to First Sergeant of his unit. He was deployed overseas in October 1918 and arrived in Dijon, France shortly before the Armistice. After the war, Frank returned to the Feather River Power Company. In his spare time he obtained a law degree via correspondence courses and passed the California BAR exam on his first try. He applied to several law firms but found the pay offers were only about $75 amonth so he joined the American Smelting and Refining Co. (ASARCO). Frank was employed there for 35 years, living both in New York City and San Francisco and rose to the position of vice president. He traveled all over the world for ASARCO, visiting manyinteresting mining sites. After retiring from ASARCO in 1963, Frank moved to Carpinteria, CA and practiced law in nearby Santa Barbara for many years specializing in probates and wills. He died November 29th, 2001 two years after receiving the Legion of Honor from the French Government for his service in the Great War.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Einar Eklof of Farjestaden, Sweden

Photo from the Western Front Association. Mr. Eklof was in the US and unemployed in 1917 and decided to enlist when America entered the war. He ended up serving with the busiest division of the AEF, the 2nd. After surviving much combat, he eventually returned home to Sweden, He is shown in the 1980s holding a photo of himself as a doughboy.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Charles Lynch Esham

Charles was one of 11 children, born in Delaware, brother of my grandfather Harry Clifford Eashum, a carpenter. During the war, he served in the 316th Infantry Regiment, Company H, 79th Lorraine Division. He fought in the Meuse-Argonne drive and was injured in a German gas attack.

After the war he was treated at the Philadelphia Veterans Hospital on and off over his lifetime. After the war he was employed as an automobile painter at 60th and Baltimore avenue in West Philadelphia where he lived for most of his life. He contracted tuberculosis, probably due to his gassing and suffered from it his entire life. Charles died of lung cancer at Eagleville sanatorium in Pennsylvania in 1963.

Contributed by his Great Nephew. Robert Johnston

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Corporal Patrick J. Fitzpatrick

Contributed by the subjects son, Jack Fitzpatrick. Photo taken at the L. Lafont Studio, Bordeaux, France. My father was born in Ireland and arrived in new York in the first decade of the 20th Century. He lived in Hoboken, New Jersey and was inducted into the Army on December 8, 1917. He completed his training at Camp Johnson, Florida and subsequently left for France from his home town of Hoboken. On arrival he was assigned to the 711th Motor Transport Corps and spent the war driving senior officers around France. He was one of few in those days who could not only drive a car but repair one as well. He received his honoarable discharge as a corporal on July 16, 1919. He was very proud of his Army time and always wore his service pin..

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Thomas J. "Teddy" Fleming

Contributed by his son, WWI Author and GWS Friend Tom Fleming. Tom writes of his father: His service was: drafted in September, 1917, promoted to corporal as a bayonet instructor, then sergeant in the Company C, 312th Infantry, 78th Division. He was commissioned in the field during the Argonne when all the officers in the company became casualties. After the war he attended officer's training school and was graduated as a confirmed second lieutenant. He stayed in France until late 1919. I'm not sure if he served in the Occupation army in Germany. His service record was destroyed in a fire at the government archive in St. Louis (I think) some years ago. He was born on Dec. 14, 1888 and died on Nov. 3, 1957 at the age of 65.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Laura Frost

Laura Frost [Smith] joined the American war effort almost as the same time as she graduated from nursing school. She was initially assigned to Base Hospital 44 and arrived in Europe in summer of 1918. Laura was one of twelve nurses selected to reinforce the staffing at Evacuation Hospital #5. With the front moving the hospital moved from sites behind the Marne River line, the Argonne Forest and, at war's end, in Flanders with the American divisions deployed there. Laura had a wonderful post-war life, spending her final days in Los Gatos, California where she passed away in 1998 at 105 years. Her photo was contributed by Lettie Gavin.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Will Garrison and Ed Drum

Contributed by Patrick Lernout of Belgium and Ed Smith of the 2nd Division Association. In 1999 Will received the Legion of Honor from the French Government. Of his surviving the Great War, Will says: "I was lucky, real lucky.' He passed away in 2003 having spent his last years in a retirement community in Bradenton Florida.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Nevin L. Gery

Nevin Gery was from Allentown, PA and enlisted in the Pennsylvania National Guard. He was wounded in action and received the Purple Heart. After the war he lived in his hometown into his 80s. Photo contributed by his great nephew, Great War Society member Paul Gery.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Marvin L. Gery

Marvin Gery, brother of Nevin Gery [see above], was also born in Allentown, PA. He enlisted in the Regular Army and served with the 2nd Division of the AEF. He was awarded the French Croix de Guerre with Silver Star and the Verdun Medal. He like, his brother, returned to Allentown after the war and lived to his 80s. Contributed by his great grandson, Paul Gery.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Floyd Gibbons

Signal Corps photo showing the famous war correspondent after he lost his eye at Belleau Wood.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

William Lee Gibson

I have lost the source information on this photo. Please contact me for proper crediting.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Eddie Grant

Contributed by Don Kington. Captain Eddie Grant was the only Major League baseball player killed in action during the Great War. Known as 'Harvard Eddie' during his ten-year career as a second baseman with the New York Giants, Grant had retired in 1916 to practice law in New York City.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Green Brothers

Contributed by Kathleen Hastings Sloggatt Koekoek of Holland. My grandfather James Francis Green is in the center, flanked by two of his younger brothers Joseph John Green on the right and John Joseph Green on the left.

James Green was a survivor of the Lost Battalion of the 77th Division. My mother remember he said that after he was wounded, there were rats. When they brought him into the church after he was wounded, they laid him on the floor and he had to wait all night waiting and there were rats.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Millard G. Greer

From son Millard Greer. My father's name was Millard G. Greer, Pvt. in the 5th Infantry Division-11th Regiment-Company"A," wounded November 10,1918 near Jametz, France.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

William Hawkins

Contributed by Brian Bennett of Waco, Texas. Wm. Hawkins was originally from Flemington, Kentucky.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Ethelbert "Bert" W. Heatley

Contributed by Lawrence Heatley. My grandfather was a man I never met. But in a special way I knew him anyway. My father, having lost him while fighting in the throes of World War II, would occasionally say to me that if he could just have five minutes to spend with his father, he would tell him how much he loved him. Dad never had a chance to say those precious words to his father ever again, being half-a-world-away at the time of his death. I was, thankfully, not so unfortunate.

Among the many wondrous stories of life that my father chose to share with me when I was young, were the adventures of the Heatley siblings of Chelsea, Michigan-thirteen kids and the mischievous things they did, on and around the family farm early in the twentieth century. Those stories of my grandfather, great-uncles and aunts growing up, as told to my father by his, helped me to understand some things about my father's father that I would otherwise have never realized. I too wished to have a chance to say to him how much I loved him, especially after being told about what he and all of his twelve brothers and sisters faced during World War I.

I am seeking to discover the man I never met by weaving together his past. When complete, I intend to write his story as I did my father's. Please visit the url address provided. Breathes There A Soldier-World War II Memoir of RFH

Your name and relationship to subject: I, of course, being Bert's grandson am very interested in any information to help my quest.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

SFC Oscar Albert Heller

Contributed by his son, GWS member Roger Heller. Born in Woodlake, Minnesota in 1894. Enlisted in National Army and sent to Fort Lee, Virginia for training. Became Sgt First Class with 305th Supply Train. Served in St. Mihiel and Meuse Argonne sectors. Became ill due to war service and spent 48 years in veterans hospitals, passing away in 1978.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Lena Hitchcock, Occupationat Therapist

From Lettie Gavin's excellent work American Women in World War I: They Also Served.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Nathan Hodosh

Nathan's grandson Mark Hodosh contributed both the photo and the this biography of his grandfather.

Nathan Hodosh came to the United States from Vilna, Lithuania in 1907 when he was 15. He made the Trans Atlantic voyage in steerage and alone and, on arrival, settled in Providence, Rhode Island. In 1917, he was drafted into the United States Army, becoming an infantryman in the Keystone Division. He found himself back on a ship, this time the Leviathan, sailing for the trenches of France where he saw action in the Meuse-Argonne.

PFC Hodosh was wounded in battle and received the Purple Heart. For a brief period, he was listed as MIA. At the close of the War, in addition to his Purple Heart, Nathan Hodosh received the Victory Medal with the campaigns of Meuse-Argonne and Defensive Sector identified on the ribbon. He returned to Providence, Rhode Island in 1918 and married Sadie Golemba in 1919. They had two sons, Gerald and Robert, both of whom served in the United States Army in World War II. Nathan Hodosh died in September 1966.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Forrest Holmes, Sr.

Contributed by his son, Forrest Junior. Both father and son started out as horse soldiers. During WWI, his father was transferred to the field artillery where he participated in both the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne Offensives with the 80th Division. During the Second World War, Forrest Junior was transferred, like many cavalrymen, to the armor branch.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Floyd Jacox

Sent by Vivian Jacox Zedler of Oak Ridge TN. Pvt Floyd Jacox was born January 9, 1896. When American entered the war Floyd enlisted in the regular army and was assigned to the 58th Infantry of the 4th Division. He was fine soldier, but always refused opportunities for promotion believing that it was hard enough to stay alive and look after your buddies. One of these friends, Jim Cooper, remained life long friends with Floyd and introduced him to his future wife. He was caught in a mustard gas attack in the Argonne campaign and this would effect him all his life.

After the war, he tried his hand at a number of agricultural ventures including trucking produce in California. He finally settled in Grant, Alabama where he was the Building and Grounds Superintendent at the Daughters of the American Revolution School for many years.

He died in 1964 with pneumonia and emphysema resulting from his wartime gassing.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Paul Jarrett

Contributed by his Grandson Clark Jarrett. Paul Jarrett was in the cattle business in Nebraska when war broke out. He enlisted and earned himself a commission in the 166th Infantry of the 42nd "Rainbow" Division. He was trained as a trench raiding specialist and saw a tremendous amount of action. He was wounded in the Second Battle of the Marne near the Vesle and suffered from mustard gas in the Argonne Forest. His war experience emotionally drained him and it took him several years to get his life in order after the war.

He ended up in Hollywood and had a long career as a movie set builder. He was retired peacefully in Palm Springs when at age 93 his grandsons persuaded him to return to France and share his experiences in the Great War. The trip was a rousing success with both the Jarrett family and the French citizens of the old battlefield areas who embraced the old Doughboy. He made a subsequent trip back to France when a street in a Vosges Mountain town was named after him and he was a guest of honor of the French Army at the Navarin Farm Memorial in the Champagne.

Paul Jarrett died recently at age 103. His glorious trips back to France are commemorated in the award winning documentary The Return of Paul Jarrett, produced by his grandson Clark.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Henry Johnson

Signal Corps portrait of highly decorated doughboy.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Elvin Kendall

Elvin Kendall didn't wait for America's entry into the Great War to enlist. He joined the Marine Corps at age 16 in 1916, presumably deceiving his recruiting sergeant about his age. His brother Charles was also a Marine and his other brother Walter was a soldier, so the Kendall family made a considerable contribution to the US war effort. The boys grew up around the Egg Harbor area of New Jersey.

Somewhere along the line Elvin developed some musical skills because he earned a trumpeter rating in the service. He served in all the major battles of the Marine Brigade and at the end of the war was assigned to the guard detail at Camp Montoir before returning home. After the war, he became a constable for the county courts and then, later, a truck driver. His photo and this information was contributed by his grandson Keith Kendall who reports the family still has Elvin's Marine trumpet.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

John J. Kennedy

Contributed by his son Robert. My father was born 10/31/1892 and died. 12/15/1959. His hometown was Brooklyn, N.Y. where he also lived after the war. He worked as Accountant, Administrator -largely Civil Service. His only reflection on his war experience was that war was hell and he never wanted to see any more of it.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Arthur C. King

Pvt. King, serial No. 1435801, 77th Division U. S. Army remembered returning from World War I to no crowds, no balloons and no well-wishers.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Largent Brothers

Contributed by their Great Niece Judy Gilbert. No details are know about Thomas or Howard's Service. Edward was killed in action on the first day of the Second Battle of the Marne, July 18, 1918. He is listed as missing in action and his name is engraved at the Aisne Marne US Cemetery.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Dee Lash

Contributed by Grand Niece Sherry Carsten. Dee Lash was originally from Flint, Michigan and served in the 26th Div. Company I, 104th Infantry. He passed away from wounds received in the Second Battle of the Marne on July 20, 1918 in at the 103rd Field hospital. and was buried the next day in American section, La Ferte-sous-Jouarre. Grave #239. His body was eventually sent home to Flint, Michigan.

Sherry has some additional photos and information on her great uncle
at her genealogy website:

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Gladys MacIntyre

Contributed by Ray Mentzer who also sent the 3rd Division machine gunners at the top of Page One.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Christy Mathewson

Photo courtesy of Andrew McLaughlin. The baseball great was gassed accidentally in a drill as a member of the AEF's Chemical Warfare Service. He developed chronic respiratory problems which ruined his baseball career and eventually killed him. He was possibly both the most famous athlete and most famous American to die as a result of his service in the First World War.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Daniel McIntosh

Daniel McIntosh's photo was contributed by his grandson Patrick Grant of Houston, Texas along with these comments.

My grandfather was a track star at the University of Oklahoma, where he graduated with a law degree in June 1913. He practised law before the war, and also dealt in the oil business. He was a member of the Creek Nation, and his grandfather (for whom he was named) fought for the Confederacy in the Civil war.

After the war, he returned to law practice and the oil business in his hometown of Checotah, Okahoma, but developed a service connected medical condition which left him totally and permanently disabled. After a long illness, he died in Checotah on September 18, 1934 survived by his wife and only child (a daughter), his mother and his siblings. He is buried in Checotah.

Family lore has it that the picture displayed here was taken at Edinburgh, Scotland while he was still in the service, but after the conclusion of the war, and that he had been sent there with several other select men for special training. I wish I knew more about this. He claimed to have been treated in Scotland for a serious case of influenza (there was an epidemic in Europe in 1918-1919), and it is possible this illness laid the groundwork for his subsequent development of encephalitis leading to his disability. His case is not as dramatic as taking a bullet in battle, but I take the position that he gave his life for his country.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Elvin Messer, Company C. 113th Infantry and John Messer 159th Brigade

Contributed by Grandson Randy Jackson. During his service my grandfather was promoted to Cpl on Oct. 2nd 1918. He was in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive north of Verdun where he was Gassed; he also had wounds in his legs from artillery fire.
Vitals for Elvin Messer: Born Feb 19,1895 York Ky; Enlisted Sept 19 1917; Promoted to Cpl Oct 2 1918; Wounded Oct 9 1918( Gassed); Discharged Mar 6 ,1919 Camp Zachory Tayloy Ky; Married Ruby Jane Eggers 22 April 1919 Portsmouth Ohio; 6 children; Retired Detroit Steel New Boston Oh; Died Aug 1,1970; Buried Sunset Memorial Gardens Wheelersburg Ohio.
For Elvin's cousin John: Born 20 Feb 1887 Greenup, Ky; married Minnie Owsley ,4 children; died 3 April 1960 Greenup, Ky; buried Quinnlen Cemetery, Ky;while in France he was attached 159th Depot Bdg,rank Corpal.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Anthony Michael Michalski

Contributed by niece Kathy Holshey who provided this brief biography.

Private Anthony Michael Michalski
Company A, 165th Infantry, 42nd Division

According to Sgt. Harold Henderson of Co. A, 165th Infantry, 42nd Division, Anthony was wounded during an attack on Meurcy Farm on July 31, 1918. His mother was informed that he was shot and then stabbed. He died of his wounds on August 10, 1918 in Evacuation Hospital #6.

Anthony was originally buried in Cemetery #608 Seringes-et-Nesles (Aisne) in Grave 30 and was moved to the United States in May of 1921. According to his sister, the sodaltiy that Anthony belonged to at St. Stanislaus Kosta Catholic Church in Greenpoint, New York arranged a grand funeral for Anthony. He was buried in Calvary Cemetery in Section 52, Plat 78, Graves 11 and 12, along with his mother and father.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Leo Anthony Miller

Contributed by his niece, Ruth Norton. Leo was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan but was living in Middleville, Barry County, Michigan at time of his enlistment. He was a Corporal in Co. K, 126, Inf., 32nd Division, and was killed on August 29th, 1918 at the BATTLE OF JUVIGNY, Aisne, France.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

"Big" Nims

"Big" is a frequently seen figure in WWI Photo Histories with his hearty, big-spirited laugh. He is included here because we would like to learn more about his service and postwar life. Please contact the editors by email if you know anything about him

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Patrick F. Murray

This is my Grandfather , Patrick F. Murray, Troop K, 13th Cavalry. He served on the Mexican Border 1917-1920.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Reynard Nill

Reynard's photo was contributed by his grandson, Rocky Nill. Pvt. Nill was born in McKeesport, Pa and grew up in Warren, Ohio. He served with an aviation unit in France from July, 1918 thru May, 1919 as a member of the 4th Company of the Motor Mechanics Regiment. He spent the remainder of his days in Warren. Anyone with information on Reynard's military service and unit are asked to send it to the editors and we will forward it to the family.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Ollie O. Olive

Ollie Olive from Fredericksburg, Virginia served on the Mexican Border with the National Guard, was demobilized and then reactivated for World War I. Sadly, he was killed in action in the Meuse -Argonne Offensive in October, 1918. Glenn Hyatt has developed a tribute to Ollie which is accessible from the Biographies page of the Doughboy Center.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Joseph John Paistupa

Contributed by his son, Joseph R. Pryst. My father was Private 1st Class Joseph John Paistupa (later he changed his surname to Pryst), serial number 2,824,650. He Served with the 337th Field Hospital in Russia.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Sgts. Peters & Hamlin

Photo from Ray Mentzer.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Walter C. Rank

Photo from Walter's son Robert Rank of Pioneer, California. Walter was a Bandsman 3rd Class with the regimental band of the 346th Fld. Artillery. Traditionally, members of the unit band serve as stretcher bearers in combat, but Walter may have had other duties in an artillery unit. Nevertheless. he was gassed in the Argonne Forest, developed chronic respiratory problems and died of them at age 30 when Robert Rank was six years old

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

John Patton Reighly

Contributed by Cynthia J. (Reihley) Carey of Harrington DE. Her grandfather, John Patton Reihley Sr. of Philadelphia Pa. was born October 1898, and died 1978.

He served with Battery B of the 108th Field Artillery of the 28th Division composed of units of the Pennsylvania National Guard. After the war he married Louise Walters, they had a son and a daughter and fifty-seven years together. He had a 37 year career with the Philadelphia Fire Department, retiring as Battalion Chief #8 in about 1957. His son, John Jr. served in the USN during WWII on the USS Vincennes (Pacific) and the USS Wadsworth (Cuba) - both of which were sunk from under him, earning him a Purple Heart.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Kenneth Norman Rogers, Sr.

Contributed by Great War Society Member Kenneth Norman Rogers, Jr. His father served with the very active 2nd Division. He received the Victory Medal with five campaign clasps, the Purple Heart for being wounded while rescuing a buddy under fire, the Croix de Guerre additional decorations from Britain, Russia and his home town and state of Troy, New York. Kenneth senior was born in 1886 and died in 1954.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Victor P. Rosasco, Sr.

Contributed by the subject's son, Great War Society Member Vic Rosasco. He reports that his father who was born in 1895 and passed away in 1972 trained for the war at Camp Custer, Michigan and arrived at LeHarve on August 8, 1918. The 85th Division was broken up for replacements and part was sent on the expedition to Northern Russia. Victor's group of combat engineers was assigned to the Corps level to support both the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne Offensives. Victor kept a diary of his adventures in France that includes interesting enginering and military details like procedures for handling a gas attack and how many sets of leg wraps the troops were issued [3 sets].

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

William Mastin Rosson

Contributed by his grandson and Great War Society Member, Col. Bill Anderson, USMC [ret]. Bill has provided the following details about his grandfather.

Name: William Mastin Rosson
DOB: 6 Dec 1895
POB: Mobile, Alabama
Died: 26 Aug 1968, Arlington, VA

Service Details:

5/17/17 - 8/15/17:
Ft. McPherson, Candidate trainee (ROTC?)
8/15/16 - 9/20/17:
2d Lt. unassigned, Camp Gordan, 82nd Div
9/21/17 - 10/21/17:
Camp Sheridan, 31st Div
10/22/17 - 8/6/18:
Company officer, 153rd Inf, Camp Beauregard, LA
8/6/18 - 8/18/18:
Sailed to France with 153rd Inf., 39th Div
39th Div. begins operations as 5th Depot Division
9/23/18 - 11/7/18:
Assigned Officer, Comp. A, 305th Inf, 77th Div
Promoted to 1st Lt.
11/7/18 - 11/22/18:
Evacuated sick w/flu
11/23/18 - 7/6/19:
Rejoined company.
Mustered out
1919 - 1932:
Officers' Reserve Corps, leaving as Major.

Notes: Participated in Argonne operation, 1st and 2nd phase. Was senior 1st LT selected to lead picked company to parade for President Wilson on 1 Jan 1919. While with 153rd Inf, he was instructor in rifle and calisthenics. Another interesting note is that his paternal grandfather died (Nov. 1862) of wounds received at the battle of Gaines Mill, Jun 1862, as Corporal, Co H, 8th Alabama. I find it ironic that he went to war in 1918 with a regiment of New Yorkers. . . a real Reb in a Yankee unit. William never talked too much of the war except to show his arms and legs without any hair that he said was burned off by mustard gas. He also told me he still had some shrapnel under his skin. I inherited his foot locker that contained most of his personal gear, ie, ID card, helmet, gas mask, haversack, cartridge belt , Sam Browne belt, etc., and Colt pistol in excellent condition. I consider myself very fortunate to have recovered these items of history.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

William Carl Sacra

Dr. William Courtney Fleenor, tells us his grandfather was born FEB 1899 Hardinsville (later Grafenburg), KY. He died FEB 1966 Louisville, KY. He served in Mexico or on the Mexican Border during 1916. In France he was assigned to the 7th Veterinary Hospital Services of Supply, Advance Section.

After the war he attended the Jefferson School of Law where he was President of his Law Fraternity and on the Law Review. He became a real estate broker and was co-owner of Sacra-Foster Realty. He was also a Veterans Administration Fee Appraiser and resided for the majority of his life in Louisville, KY.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Matt Lee Shadley

Lee Shadley's Great Grandson Mike Sullivan writes:

My Great Grandfather was born in Big Bend, California on May 15, 1895. He was a member of the Madasi band of the Pit River tribe. All of our family are proud of the service record or American Indians in our wars, even though at times, we were not classified as citizens.

In 1992 my family was contacted by the DOD regarding Lee. He is considered to have been the "most wounded" man to survive in the war. I don't know if that is true, but I do know that he was shot on the 25 of September, 1918 and this resulted, by one late in life count, 175 entry and exit wounds on his body. The machine gun round went through his hip and struck a bag of grenades on the other side causing a large explosion. The reason he didn't die from infection during the three days he was in no man's land was due to not having eaten for a couple days and that the bullets which went in, and the damage from the exploding bag of grenades manage to miss every vital organ! He spent two days in the field before being taken to hospital. There he was more or less given up on, and moved to the hall outside the morgue with other soldiers who were not expected to make it. Later, while at San Francisco's Presidio, in March 1919, he was given the highest "score" of wounds among the convalescent soldiers, 117 at that time. He was awarded a Silver Star, Purple Heart and a $44.00 a month disability payment for his service.

He moved back to his home in Klamath Falls Oregon after the war and married Mildred Grace Herrick of Chico Ca. They Returned to Chico after the birth of their only child Madeline, my grandmother. she now lives in Round Mt. Ca. Lee worked as a ranch hand for years with horses mostly. He also ran a saw mill.

Lee had one leg much shorter than the other, and had special shoes made with a thick soul on one foot. He still limped in his 70's. I can also remember that at times a piece of the metal still in his body would work it's way up to the surface of his skin. He would use his pocket knife to dig these out of his hands and arms. I know he loved hunting and fishing. He is quoted in an interview while still in the hospital after the war as saying that he couldn't wait to get back to Oregon to do some fishing. In September of 1972, just before his death in December, he was still dear hunting.

Mike Sullivan would like to correspond with others who are researching their World War I relatives. He can be contacted at:

           Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Edwin Sievers, USN

Contributed by Edwin's son, Bruce. Edwin is the only current member of the Great War Society who actually served in the war. He saw duty in World War I as a U.S. Navy Hospital Corpsman, detached to the Fifth Marine Regiment and in World War II as a Captain in the U.S. Army Intelligence, 449th Bomb Group.

Born in 1901 in New York City, he volunteered for service in 1917 (not being entirely truthful with the recruitment officer about his age). After training at the Great Lakes Naval Air Station and at Cape Cod, he was assigned to the Marine Corps and fought in the Battle of Chateau Thierry at Belleau Wood in June, 1918. Although seriously injured in a German gas attack, he recovered in southern France and served the rest of the war on mine sweepers and troop ships.

During the Second World War, Maj. Sievers was involved in the development of aerial photography and mapping, serving at Alamagordo, New Mexico and Colorado Springs, Colorado. He retired as a Major in the U.S. Army Reserve. He graduated in 1927 from the University of Missouri at Rolla with an engineering degree and spent most of his civilian career with the U.S. Forest Service, retiring in 1959 as Chief of Engineering in Region I, Missoula, Montana. Sievers' family includes his wife, Dorothy Brooks (dec. 1991), to whom he was married 65 years, two daughters, a son, six grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. He currently lives with his daughter and son-in-law at Flathead Lake near Polson, Montana, takes active walks everyday, and is enjoying being a new member of the Great War Society.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Mary Webster Shannon

Photo from Ray Mentzer. This is one of the most endearing photos from the Great War.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Albert Smith

Contributed by Great Grandson Michael Stickney. Michael reports: Albert Smith (1895 - 1957) was from Oakridge NJ. and served as a Machine Gunner in the 3rd Div., 7th Infantry Reg. from 1917 - 1919. He was in most of the major battles that the 3rd fought in and then did a tour with the Army of Occupation in Germany after the war. His service picture was taken in 1917 when he was 22 years old. He was wounded twice during the Second Battle of the Marne. He recived his Purple heart with oak leaf clusters in 1934.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Cromwell O. Smith

Contributed by his son, C.O. Smith.
Lt Smith's family contributed the photo and provided this chronology of his war service.

11/22/91 Born, Indianola Mississippi

03/23/17 Enlisted Co. "A" Engineers MS National Guard

06/25/17 Reported Camp Jackson, MS

06/28/17 Mustered into Federal Service

07/01/17 Promoted- Sergeant - MS National l Guard - Engineers- Co "A"

08/05/17 Discharged MS National Guard as SGT

09/05/17 Appointed Battalion Sgt Major 114th Engineers Camp Beauregard, Alexandria, La

09/25/17 Promoted to 2nd Lt. NG- Signed Wm Ingrahm Asst Secty War - recorded 12/21/17

09/30/17 Ordered to HQ First Army , AEF France (advanced party)

? Assigned 1st Provisional Water Train (26th Engineers) with three other officers. Participated in St. Mihiel and Argonne-Muse for 2 months

10/24/18 Second Army Orders GS-3 dated 10/12/18 (SECRET) Appointed Commanding 2nd section of Provisional Water Train. transfer to CLERMONT-en -ARGONNE reporting NLT 11/2/18

11/08/18 Transferred to Co. "E" 26th Engineers

03/09/19 Sailed from France

03/20/19 Arrived USA

04/08/19 Discharged as 2nd Lt. Camp Meade, MD

01/23/55 Died Veterans Hospital , New Orleans, La .

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Hugh and Samuel Smith

Contributed by Mary Schaefer. the Brother's Smith are her great uncles from Aspen, Colorado who moved to Denver in 1910.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Ralph Smith

A copy of this photo was given to the editor by the subject in 1988 at his interview. Ralph Smith who died recently at age 104, led a distinguished Army career after the Great War. He was an Instructor at West Point and became a Major General in World War II. He was embroiled in a controversay in that war when Marine General 'Howling Mad' Smith relieved him as Commander of the 27th Division during the Saipan campaign. He was later exonerated by an Army board of inquiry and went on to serve as American Military Representative to General DeGualle's government in Paris. He was also, after his retirement from the Army, the first President of CARE.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Edward Steichen

One of the greatest American photographers, Steichen led the US Air Service Photographic Section in the First World War and the Navy's Combat Photography Section in the Second.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Charles Phelp Taft

Contributed by Raquel Hendrickson. The yournger son of the former President, Charles Taft enlisted in the ranks and finished the war as a 1st Lt. with 12th Field Artillery of the 2nd Division. He would later serve as Mayor of Cincinnati.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Sgt. Hobart McKinley Thomas

Contributed by Ruth Norton. Hobart served with the 28th Inf, 1st Division. In one action with two automatic rifles, he took out a German machine gun crew of nine and captured their gun taking it back to camp. He also received the Purple Heart for being wounded and was mustered out as a Sergeant.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Sgt. Matthew Thorneycroft, 131st Inf., 33rd Div

Contributed by his son, GWS Member Philip Thorneycroft. A major article on Sgt. Thorneycroft's war service can be found at


          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Ed Vanderbosch

Contributed by his grand daughter, Donna Flanagan. Edward Philip Vanderbosch was born in Auburn NY in 1894. He enlisted in the National Guard on May 26, 1917 and was assigned to what was eventually designated Company M of the 108th Infantry of the 27th Division of the AEF. He quickly made Sergeant.

Overseas, the 27th Division, under the command of Major General John F. O'Ryan, trained and fought with the British Expeditionary Force for all of their service. They fought in Flanders near Poperinghe and Vierstratt Ridge and in the Somme Sector helping with the capture of the St. Quentin Canal and the final advance of the war.

The division returned to the US and were given a triumphal parade in New York City in March 1919. Ed was discharged as a Sergeant at Camp Upton, Long Island and was paid in full $112.00.

After his discharge he returned to Auburn, New York where he worked for a short time as an accountant for the Leigh Valley Railroad. He became a NY state prison guard and was eventually employed at the Auburn State Prison as foreman of the lumber yard.

Ed married Jessica Furlong in 1934 after a 5 year courtship. He then had a stepson named Gordon A. Furlong [Donna's father]. Ed was a member and past exalted ruler of the Auburn Elks. He was known as an authority on Shakespeare who liked to quote the Bard to his friends and a singer and collector of ballads.

To his grand daughter Donna, he was a great tall, quiet man who loved to tell good jokes and listen to Opera, Harry Bellafonte, Burl Ives, the Three Black Crows and her.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Floyd Vickaryasz

Photo from Floyd's grandson Floyd Low. The 20th Engineers was a forestry unit making lumber goods for use by the combat units. Prior to the war he had worked in Michigan forest mills so this was a case of an individual being placed in the right unit. After the war he farmed in Wyndell, BC, Canada from the 1930s to the 1960s.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Floyd Vickaryasz and Friends

Contributed by Floyd's grandson Floyd Low. Of course, we would like to identify the other individuals in the photo.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

James Wall, USMC

I've lost track of who contributed James's photo. Please contact me so I can give you credit for your contribution.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Joseph S. Vrablic

Joseph's photo was contributed by his greatniece Michelle Eastman. His gravestone gives his date of death as 1919 -- he was only 17.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Ray Walker

Contributed by Steve Walker. My Grandfather served in Paris France in the Butchery Co.321. My Dad and I believe it was part of the Quartermaster Corps. I have an order slip stating that he was a Private on duty at the Sales Commissary every other night starting 1/19/19. He worked from 6 pm to 6 am. It is signed by Bruce H Carraway, 1st Lieut QMC USA, Comdg. Co.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

Willie Green Watson

Contributed by the subject's daughter Denise Watson Davis. Willie Green Watson was born on September 17, 1898 in Glasgow Kentucky. His parents were Dejeima Watson and Catherine Elizabeth Lee. He was the youngest of eight children. Willie left home at an early age to help his family financially. He moved to North Dakota where he enlisted in May 1917, with the 26th Infantry, First Division and served until 1919. His commander was Teddy Roosevelt, Jr.

At Soissons in July, 1918 he distinguished himself sufficiently to earn a battlefield commission and the Silver Star and Croix de Guerre. His citation reads in part:

For conspicuous gallantry in action during the operations near Soissons, July 18-23 -- Private W.G. Watson drove the enemy from an artillery battery that was firing direct fire across the Missy Ravine, with his own rifle fire.

B.B. Buck, Brigadier General

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two

John Rudolph Webb

Contributed by John's daughter Mary Nelson and her cousin, Great War Society San Francisco Chapter Chairman Bob Rudolph. John Webb was a petroleum engineer before and after the war who was drawn into the Tank Corps because of his mechanical skills. His unit was trained in England and equipped with British Mark type tanks because they fought under British command in the Somme Sector.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Sgt. William Jennings Wenz and Parents

Photo of Sgt. William Jennings Wenz and his proud parents Daniel and Emily contributed by William's son Robert Wenz of Richmond California. Sgt. Wenz was a civilian employee at the War Department at the beginning of the war and then was inducted directly into the service. He told his family of frequent on the street sitings of President Wilson walking out in public with his two-man security detail and who, he recalled, always tipped his hat when recognized.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Lt Renville Wheat, Battery B, 103rd FA

Photo contributed by his son GWS Member John Wheat. Battery B's unit history had these comments about Lt. Wheat: Sometimes known as 'Reveille.' Came to us at Coetquedan with the official issue of Plattsburgh officers. For a while we thought he was going to be O.D. [olive drab?], but we soon found him to be a regular fellow. The Seicheprey fight deprived us of his services [Lt. Wheat was seriously wounded there], but during that engagement he brought credit to himself and the organization. Learn more about Battery B at Battery B in the Second Battle of the Marne.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Hunter Wickersham

Lt. Wickersham, who was killed on the first day of the St. Mihiel Offensive, had the double distinction of receiving the Medal of Honor and of writing one of the most famous poems composed by a Doughboy, Those Raindrops Falling on Your Old Tin Hat. To learn more about Lt. Wickersham and to read his poem visit our Doughboy Poetry web page at:

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Glenn A. Wildman

Contributed by Jack Savage and Barbara Alberson Wildman of Menlo Park, California. Glenn A. Wildman of Napa, Idaho served at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma in the Signal Corps with Squadron A of the Balloon Corps. In a training accident a balloon exploded and seared his lungs and was disabled. The doctors told not to marry and have children because he would not live very long. Happily for Jack Wildman he married anyway in 1919, smoked all his life and had three children. A lifetime American Legion member, Glenn passed away in in 1985. A career Civil Engineer he helped design most of the San Francisco Bay Area freeways. He was proud of his service in the First World War and tried to enlist in the Seabees in wwii but turned away because of his disability.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Five

Jesse Woolridge

Photo from the Jesse Woolridge archive at the Hoover Institution. He commanded the most advanced company of the the 38th Infantry Regiment at the opening of the Second Battle of the Marne. His account of the battle is included in the Doughboy Center's article on that battle.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page One

Gilbert Wright, USMC

Contributed by his son Great War Society Member Gilbert Wright of El Paso Texas. Sgt Wright was born Maxton, NC Jan 16, l890. His father served in the Meuse-Argonne operation and in the occupation force on the Rhine at Coblenz before returning home in 1919. He died Sept 21 1944 after a career as a hotel manager.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Three

Camiel Wyckhuys

Contributed by Patrick Lernout of Belgium. Camiel Wyckhuys [Wyeckheys]had immigrated to the US before the war and was drafted into the American Army. He served with the 310th Ammunition Train of the 85th Division, but contracted the Spanish Influenza and died. He is buried in the the US Oise-Aisne Cemetery in France.

          Subject's Photo on Album Page Two


To find other Doughboy Features visit our

Directory Page

For Great War Society
Membership Information

Click on Icon

For further information on the events of 1914-1918 visit the homepage of

The Great War Society

Additions and comments on these pages may be directed to:
Michael E. Hanlon ( regarding content,
or toMike Iavarone ( regarding form and function.
Original artwork & copy; © 1998-2000, The Great War Society