Researching Guidance, Service Records. Graves Information
On the World Wide Web
Researching Your Doughboy Relative
- Frequently Asked Questions format gives an overall strategy for learning about ancestors whor served with the AEF as well as providing much detailed information. From the Doughboy Center.
American Battle Monuments Commission
- Photos and information on every US military cemeteries and monuments overseas; good for tracking down Doughboys' buried in Europe.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Great search engine.
British PRO Contact Information
- Use this link to contact the Public Records Office at Kew. Many service records are now available.
Veteran Affairs of Canada
- A good starting point for researching Canadian veterans.
War Graves Commssion Contact Information
- The War Graves Commssion can be very helpful in locating the graves of the fallen.
Helpful Resources for Identifying WWI Medals, Badges and Insignia
On the World Wide Web
Australian War Medals
- Be sure to check out this great resource on British Commonwealth medals.
Thanks to Great War Society Member: Jack Savage Wildman for putting this list together.
[Note that some post-WWI titles are included since there was much carry over from the First World War. MH]
BADGES OF THE FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION 1923 - 1989
Printed in France--4o trimestre 1989, ISBN 2-950 4247, 1989
David Borthick & Jack Britton
MEDALS, MILITARY AND CIVILIAN OF THE UNITED STATES
MCN Press (Military Collectors' News Press)
PO Box 702073, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74170
ISBN - 0-912958-25-1
Editors of Boston Publishing Co., Boston, Massachusetts,
ABOVE AND BEYOND,
A History of the Medal of Honor, from the Civil War to Vietnam.
Sammler Kabinett, 1985.
HERALDRY AND REGALIA OF WAR
Beekman House, New York, 1973
Purnell's History of the World Wars
INSIGNIA OF THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES
The National Geographic Magazine
Vol. LXXXIII, June, 1943
Edward C. Joslin
THE OBSERVER'S BOOK OF BRITISH AWARDS AND MEDALS
Frederick Warner & Co. Ltd., London, England, 1974
THE ARMED FORCES OF WORLD WAR II, Uniforms, Insignia and
Crown Publishers, One Park Ave., NY 10016, 1981.
Philip K. Robles
UNITED STATES MILITARY MEDALS AND RIBBONS
Charles E. Tuttle, Co., Inc. of Rutland, Vermont, 1971
The Macmillan Color SeriesARMY BADGES AND INSIGNIA OF WWII
Two Volumes, 1976
Macmillan Publishing Co., NY, 10022
Sharp & Dunnigan Publications
THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR
Forest Ranch, CA 95942
U.S. War Department, Military Intelligence Division
HAND BOOK ON GERMAN MILITARY FORCES
TM-E 30-451. 1943
COLLECTING MILITARY ANTIQUES
Harper & Row, Publishers, 1976
BADGES OF THE BRITISH ARMY 1820-1960
Arms and Armour Press, London, 1982
U.S. Cameron and Kelker Streets, PO Box 1821
Harrisburg, PA 17105
THE IRON CROSS, A History 1813-1957
Blandford Press, Link House, West Street, Poole, Dorset
BH15 ILL. 1984, 1985. UK